Things I am tired of:
-dumb arguments on the internet. Seriously, people, you just argued about ARGUING. Please stop.
-"godly" stuff. Here's my thoughts on this: yes, we are like God, made in his image, but we are NOT God. We are not perfect. Let's stop talking about ourselves and each other as if we are deities. Find a new adjective.
-salads with bacon and/or cheddar cheese on them. Bacon belongs on my breakfast plate; nowhere else. Cheddar cheese belongs on lots of things, but lettuce is not one of them.
-#blessed. When you instagram, facebook, or tweet that hashtag, you sound like some great-aunt who thinks they're all cool and hip, but who is actually just making a fool of themselves. Preserve your dignity, and save me the embarrassment for you. Do not do this.
-zits. Like, haven't I outgrown these by now? I feel ridiculous when I walk into the classroom with a giant red pimple on my face identical to the ones on the faces of half my students.
-Being uncategorizable apart from my unmarried status. We don't call 4-year-olds the "too young to be married's", and we don't call 75-year-olds "widows" or "widowers" anymore, so why does it make sense to try to summarize some 20-something's life position in terms of singlehood? I'd like to think there's a great deal more (and more interesting stuff) to who I am than that.
-People assuming that because I am not married, I must have so much glorious free time that desperately needs filling. Not that I don't want to help, but do not assume I will pick up your slack at the last minute just because I don't have two kids at home and you do. You do realize that my not being married is my CHOICE, right? I have chosen to fill my time with goals and responsibilities; they're just different than yours. I'm not just sitting around on my butt, twiddling my thumbs, until someone miraculously sweeps me off my feet, and...voila! My life's purpose is fulfilled, and I finally have a use for my time! What a miracle! No.
-not having student computers/ technology in general. This one is really depressing me lately.
-my old hairstyles. I need a change. Help me out, here, YouTube.
-absorbing other people's feelings. Why is it that when someone does something to hurt me, accidentally or on purpose, I end up feeling awful? Don't I have enough of my own guilt and shame to be getting on with? Why do we do that to ourselves?
-dust. It makes me sneeze continually; it's disgusting; it just needs to go.
-sports taking up all the space on the DVR. Why do you need to tape that 3.5 hour long game?? By the time you watch it, you'll already know who's won anyway so....? I just don't get this.
-chapped lips. They're gross and peely and enough said. Pass me the Burt's Bees, please.
-keeping my thoughts and opinions to myself. I'm starting to feel like I'm going mad because I'm having so much internal dialogue continually all day long.
-"godly" stuff. Here's my thoughts on this: yes, we are like God, made in his image, but we are NOT God. We are not perfect. Let's stop talking about ourselves and each other as if we are deities. Find a new adjective.
-salads with bacon and/or cheddar cheese on them. Bacon belongs on my breakfast plate; nowhere else. Cheddar cheese belongs on lots of things, but lettuce is not one of them.
-#blessed. When you instagram, facebook, or tweet that hashtag, you sound like some great-aunt who thinks they're all cool and hip, but who is actually just making a fool of themselves. Preserve your dignity, and save me the embarrassment for you. Do not do this.
-zits. Like, haven't I outgrown these by now? I feel ridiculous when I walk into the classroom with a giant red pimple on my face identical to the ones on the faces of half my students.
-Being uncategorizable apart from my unmarried status. We don't call 4-year-olds the "too young to be married's", and we don't call 75-year-olds "widows" or "widowers" anymore, so why does it make sense to try to summarize some 20-something's life position in terms of singlehood? I'd like to think there's a great deal more (and more interesting stuff) to who I am than that.
-People assuming that because I am not married, I must have so much glorious free time that desperately needs filling. Not that I don't want to help, but do not assume I will pick up your slack at the last minute just because I don't have two kids at home and you do. You do realize that my not being married is my CHOICE, right? I have chosen to fill my time with goals and responsibilities; they're just different than yours. I'm not just sitting around on my butt, twiddling my thumbs, until someone miraculously sweeps me off my feet, and...voila! My life's purpose is fulfilled, and I finally have a use for my time! What a miracle! No.-not having student computers/ technology in general. This one is really depressing me lately.
-my old hairstyles. I need a change. Help me out, here, YouTube.
-absorbing other people's feelings. Why is it that when someone does something to hurt me, accidentally or on purpose, I end up feeling awful? Don't I have enough of my own guilt and shame to be getting on with? Why do we do that to ourselves?
-dust. It makes me sneeze continually; it's disgusting; it just needs to go.
-sports taking up all the space on the DVR. Why do you need to tape that 3.5 hour long game?? By the time you watch it, you'll already know who's won anyway so....? I just don't get this.
-chapped lips. They're gross and peely and enough said. Pass me the Burt's Bees, please.
-keeping my thoughts and opinions to myself. I'm starting to feel like I'm going mad because I'm having so much internal dialogue continually all day long.



Comments
Post a Comment
Comments welcome, but kind/respectful words only, please.