Infuriating

So, I'm really not sure how to explain this or talk about it without being kind-of cryptic, simply because I don't want to give specifics of the people or things involved, but here are some thoughts:

Today, I came home very angry because I had an encounter with someone that very much bothered me. This person has been known in the past to be unpopular for being cryptic, having poor communication skills, and generally assuming the very worst about people. Today, I had a brief chat with this individual that left me feeling foolish, lazy, and irresponsible in addition to feeling completely lost about what to do about an assignment. While I had spoken to her previously about the assignment and gotten a positive response, today she brought it up again, and when I mentioned again what I had told her before, she suddenly had issues with it--three months later. I politely asked, "Is that a problem?", and her condescending, frowning response, "It might be."


Really?? You're going to tell me everything's fine in January and then raise issues with it in April, three weeks before it is due? Ugh.


Not only that though, but then when we tried to talk out the issue, her comments were such that implied that I wasn't taking the assignment seriously, which really irritated me. 


I wanted to be like, "Really? You think I am not taking this seriously? I think you should consult some of the other people in the class to see how they are coming along on this assignment, because I can guarantee, I've thought about it more than the majority of them."

By the time we were through talking, I was so angry I just wanted to get as far away from her as fast as humanly possible. Literally, I like stalked away down the hall, not even bothering to turn around when I said goodbye. 



And when I got into the car, my drive home went something like this:










So when I got home, I immediately resolved to deal with the issue on the spot in such a way as not to have to deal with this individual anymore. I sent a couple of emails, and now, a few hours later, it's done. I changed my topic for the assignment and the people I will be collaborating on it with so I won't have to worry about trying to communicate or collaborate with this person again, which is SUCH a relief. 

It seems terrible, but sometimes people who just really get under my skin and drive me crazy--sometimes I just have to do whatever necessary to remove myself from their presence and influence. I'd just rather remove myself from the source of the mean and unhealthy thoughts and feelings.

The problem is, I think she has some sort-of deep-seated bitterness, and I dunno why, but at moments, it comes out. One minute she acts all sweet, and the next, she says things that assume the very worst of others, which is honestly quite rude and insulting. And although she uses lots of words, she never really SAYS anything. Nothing is ever in writing with her, and then since everything that comes out of her mouth is jargon-esque, you never know what she intends or means. I've asked her questions before as simple as yes-or-no clarification of a schedule, and somehow she will manage to ramble for minutes without ever confirming or denying what i asked about. She would make an impressive lawyer.


Sigh. I should really work on being more patient, I guess.




Comments

Popular Posts