More on HRH Prince William of Wales...


Well, I have to admit Jessica's 1300 word essay (which you can read on her blog here) on the Prince is far better written and more exhaustive (typical Jess) than what I am about to write, but here's an update on the big event tomorrow...

First off, security is wack. I've never seen so many neon policemen hanging around in my life. I feel like they're having a cop's convention or something. They just sort of stand around, laxadazically strolling back and forth, waiting for someone to try to walk by so they can stop them and scare them away. They've completely marked off several walkways around the quad near my dorm, and consequently I've had to re-route myself every morning and become more acclimated with alternative routes to class.
They're starting to block off the traffic now, too--there's all these cones up and down The Scores, and apparently there will be ZERO parking allowed on North Street (and possibly Market?) tomorrow. They've also taken to posting these lovely laminated signs all around town, telling you where human and vehicle traffic is restricted and when. St Salvator's Quad (just behind my dorm, where the ceremony will take place) has been blocked off since Sunday; they had to re-schedule all the classes this week that meet in those lecture halls (including two of my three modules). They have guards standing at all three entrances, barring entrance to anyone who's not a professor or a postgraduate student. They even moved my Scottish History from the building next door on Butts Wynd today to secure that as well, just because it overlooks the Quad. I highly doubt any sniper's going to try to shoot the Prince from the Old Union Diner, but evidently they're taking no chances. Just today I've also started hearing helicopters and air force planes zooming overhead periodically. I'd bet anything they're part of security as well. Insane.

We've also noticed that the University has had a sudden desire to clean up outside Sallies in the last few days. Not that it's been unkept--which it really hasn't--but they've now got gardeners out there edging the sidewalk and clipping bushes, etc. etc.

Security on Sallies is getting tight too. The front gate--which is always wide open--has been shut and locked so that no cars can pull up in the alleyway, and the porter's always hanging out in the Entrance Hall, watching to make sure those coming in the front door are the familiar faces of students. Apparently they're going to have a security guard outside the front doors tomorrow, manually checking matric cards.

Also, a funny story from yesterday: my friend Bess and I were hanging out in Jessica's room, just doing homework and started hearing all these guys talking loudly outside. Perfectly happy for a temporary distraction, we clambered up onto Jessica's windowsill, and peeked out at these guys who were chatting to another older guy with a big camera. Curious, I cracked open the window and put my ear to the crack, listening intently to make out what they were saying. Apparently the cameraman was trying to get into Sallies, or wanted to interview someone from Sallies, or something to that extent. But what's funny is what happened next. About fifteen seconds into my eavesdropping, I suddenly hear from one of the students, far more clearly than anything previously said, "Why is everyone looking out the window?" Bess and I were like, "Oh, crap!" and immediately slipped back down out of sight beneath the window, rolling on the floor in embarrassed laughter. Guess maybe we weren't such good spies as we formerly thought.

The big event itself occurs tomorrow late morning sometime (they haven't actually told anyone exactly WHEN; I suppose for security reasons...). We think probably around 11am? I didn't (so sadly) get a ticket, but a couple of our JSA friends in Sallies were drawn in the ballot, so they get to go- yay! But unfortunately, they are forbidden from bringing cameras- boo. Security strikes again. They are also supposed to dress up in "leisure suit"-type attire, so we're guessing that means nice dress or skirt? hahaha. Seating begins at 9:15am, and everyone who has tickets has to be there no later than 10:30am. They're also mentioned in emails that Prince William and Kate Middleton might be walking down a bit of North Street to meet other students and faculty, so, with this in mind, Jessica and I have formulated a plan to go Prince stalking, muwahahaha. I will certainly update tomorrow with any photos and details should our expedition succeed.

Some other interesting information about Prince William and St Andrews:
Prince William lived in Sallies his first year, actually, on my floor :) Room B36--which is now occupied by the second floor warden. What's also funny is that it's on the male corridor that we've affectionately named the "party hall". :P The Head Warden also told us at tea last Sunday that Prince William's room did, in fact, have bullet-proof glass in its windows, and that the bathroom connected to it is bullet-proof as well, doubling as a panic room. The two rooms on either side of the Prince were occupied by his bodyguards undercover, though the students never knew it--they graduated with honors degrees and everything, haha.

Also: As I've been writing this blog post (when I'm supposed to be working on a Scottish History paper--Oops), I received this email from the St Andrews Principal:

Dear Students and Staff,

I hope you have not been too inconvenienced by the preparations for tomorrow’s launch of our 600th anniversary celebrations.

Congratulations to those who won a seat in the Quad through the ballot. To those who did not, I hope you will be able to enjoy the public part of the celebrations on North Street or watch online via the news channels of BBC and Sky who, we understand, will be broadcasting parts of the visit and ceremony live.

I wanted to let you know that tomorrow I will be announcing that the university community will be offering a wedding gift to HRH Prince William and Catherine Middleton of a scholarship in their honour. This scholarship will be awarded annually to a needy student from anywhere in the world who gains admission to St Andrews and who otherwise could not afford to attend.

I would like to offer my deepest thanks to the many members of staff who have worked so hard and at such short notice to prepare us for tomorrow’s festivities. February 25 2011 will be a seminal day in the history of our university. I hope you share my delight in being a part of it.

With best regards

Louise Richardson, Principal and Vice-Chancellor

They're creating a scholarship in honor of Prince William and Kate! That's pretty cool :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but kind/respectful words only, please.

Popular Posts