Disney WIN
Tonight I saw the new big blockbuster Disney film, Frozen.
I just have to praise this movie because it totally deserves it. It's not what you expect, and for that reason, it is AWESOME. It's not the most epic Disney music (though the girl who voices Elsa is incredible), or the best animation (though it's okay), but Disney finally got their act together and portrayed a HEALTHY ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP. Not only that, but the twist(s) they put into the story...I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but...they did a good job with them. They portray the 'antagonist' in a way that does much more justice to humanity. They turn the typical romance plot on its head, and the real resolution doesn't arrive with a prince charming riding in on his white stallion (or his non-English-speaking reindeer). Both the villain (ahem, erm, well the presumed villain, I guess) and the heroine are entirely human, and the resolution comes through that humanity, not through some Ariel-style I-saw-you-once-and-now-I-must-be-in-love delusion. And even so, you will fall in love with the guy in the story, because some of his first lines to the heroine are fantastic bits of common sense that make you want to pump your fists in vindication. In short, the story looks like the typical princess scenario, but it's not about romantic love so much as it is love between sisters. And there lies the true beauty of the story.
You should also look out for Rapunzel at one part near the beginning of the movie. She makes a short split-second cameo (with Flynn, though he's barely on-screen), which was fun.
Also, check the end of the credits. They make a nice little disclaimer note concerning views on disgusting male habits.
I just have to praise this movie because it totally deserves it. It's not what you expect, and for that reason, it is AWESOME. It's not the most epic Disney music (though the girl who voices Elsa is incredible), or the best animation (though it's okay), but Disney finally got their act together and portrayed a HEALTHY ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP. Not only that, but the twist(s) they put into the story...I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but...they did a good job with them. They portray the 'antagonist' in a way that does much more justice to humanity. They turn the typical romance plot on its head, and the real resolution doesn't arrive with a prince charming riding in on his white stallion (or his non-English-speaking reindeer). Both the villain (ahem, erm, well the presumed villain, I guess) and the heroine are entirely human, and the resolution comes through that humanity, not through some Ariel-style I-saw-you-once-and-now-I-must-be-in-love delusion. And even so, you will fall in love with the guy in the story, because some of his first lines to the heroine are fantastic bits of common sense that make you want to pump your fists in vindication. In short, the story looks like the typical princess scenario, but it's not about romantic love so much as it is love between sisters. And there lies the true beauty of the story.
You should also look out for Rapunzel at one part near the beginning of the movie. She makes a short split-second cameo (with Flynn, though he's barely on-screen), which was fun.
Also, check the end of the credits. They make a nice little disclaimer note concerning views on disgusting male habits.





Idina Menzel is the voice of Elsa - she's amazing!! :)
ReplyDelete