Sallies Things

  • BYOM – Bring Your Own Mug. Sallies residents are fortunate recipients of both free coffee/hot chocolate out of the Great Hall in the minutes following breakfast, lunch, and dinner, although at the latter few meals, one must provide one’s own mug/cup. Jessica, our friend Bess, and I found £1.50 Valentines (what? The things are seasonal, and there weren’t a lot of options) mugs at Tesco (think Wal-Mart, but smaller, fewer brand names, and British). Sallies residents are also invited to tea parties (no joke, actual TEA PARTIES) in the Common Room, many of which ask for donations to local charities.
  • Famous dorm rooms. Apparently the head Warden-whatever (like a head RA, if you will) is given the room in Sallies that formerly belonged to Prince William; it is also apparently rumored that said room has windows with bullet-proof glass.
  • Really sweet cleaning/serving ladies. People over here just seem so cheery all the time. The maid for our hall (yes, we have maids that come and empty our trash every day and vacuum once a week—wonderful :) greets me every morning with such kindness and cute conversation that Americans don’t always show. It makes me smile.
  • Wired internet. Self-explanatory. Unfortunately, working on my computer at my desk is not an option, because my Ethernet hook-up is on the wall behind my bed. Not a good life choice for me, who works frequently at late hours of the night, or for my consequential schoolwork.
  • Pier-jumping: n. an initiation of sorts in Sallies, whereby the new students join many of the old in walking to the end of the pier (see earlier pictures) by the harbor, and jump into the North Sea. Not compulsory; although, however, it is highly recommended, and there is a good amount of peer (no pun intended) pressure involved. Jessica and I weren’t feeling particularly courageous that day, but a few of the male JSA’s on my floor were. FYI/Disclaimer: They are idiots. Trying this at home is probably okay for most of you in warmer climates, but if you live on the coast of the North Sea, it is inadvisable.
  • High Table. More on this in a few weeks; there is one on March 3rd. It’s some sort of tradition, though, in which you are invited to dine with the important people in your dorm. Full definition to follow, but it sounds very Narnia-esque to me. :)
  • Energy conservation. Now, I am all for saving the environment and being financially prudent, but I think it’s gone a little too far when I’m freezing all the time, even when I’m inside. The heat in our rooms is very early twentieth century, and is shut off from 9am until 5pm, and from 11pm until 6am. All of the lights, as well, are labeled with stickers reminding students to flick off the switch when they leave a room. In fact, I think someone told me you can actually major in “Sustainable Development” here.
  • Pigeon holes. They make me feel just a bit more like I’m living in Hogwarts and getting my mail by owl. Or, at least, it sounds similar. I think I should start calling my mail, “pigeon post” :)

Comments

Popular Posts